Made of a tough fabric material and a felt inside they protect the easily scratched Perspex windows from damage when in the boot. Took Jane an age to make them but they look good and mean that we can stack the windows on the rear shelf when we go touring.
Me – Hard at work on the bags. I’m sure I only did 5 minutes out of about 3-4 days of labour.
And here is Jane modelling the bags in the garden!
Focus this month was on getting the Cobra properly tuned and then properly running it in.
Tuning. We took the car to Paul Spink who had a good set up for tuning the car. We managed to deal with several issues including: Making sure that the car was not running rich in all gears, making sure that th e stomp compensation in 3rd didn’t interfere with acceleration and changing the sensitivity of the throttle pedal. All in all this did really help with the driveability of the car. Unfortunately there seems to be a fuelling issue that is causing the car to hesitate in 1st and 2nd gear on wide open throttle. Need to sort that quickly.
Cobie – ready for the tuning experience
High sensitivity O2 sensor for calibration
Getting the computer set up
Link to the OBD2 port (Should have mounted that inside the car!)
Having got the hood fitted we’ve now focussed on getting the side screens sorted. We didn’t have any of the proper tools that we’ve seen on other blogs so we made do with what we had (a wood saw and a Powerfile). The results were surprisingly good.
Travelling up to GD for some final checks
Having spent 4 years and received countless boxes it was time to take the finished article back up to GD to show them what I’d made. Both Meena and Andy really liked the period looks of the car and after a short test drive Andy commented that his only concern was that the clock was wrong! Whilst up there Andy did instruct me on how to sort out carbon repairs by treating the front wing damage that was caused by not filing back the lip of the wheel arch enough.
Travelling to Kettering to show the family
Took the car back up to home to show everyone what we’d been working on for so long. Everyone was very complimentary on the car and seemed impressed that we’d built it. Lots of opportunity for taking people out and about (and a bit of showing off). Only slight problem I encountered was that one of the injector/coil fuses blew. It should have been a 15A according to the original donor car but I’d used a 3A. The AA man who turned up with the fuses was also pretty impressed with the car! Despite the rain it was a great weekend and it certainly gave Dad and I a good practice at getting the soft top up and fitted.
Fixing the side catches and tie towns for Hood
One of the annoyances with the motorway and fast dual carriageways was that the catches on the windows were pulled out from there securing points. I spoke to Andy about this and this is apparently a known issue. Soon solved the problem by extending the catches using a 2 inch piece of 1mm Stainless bar! We’ve also now got some fine Velcro straps so that we can tie the hood down in the “touring” position. These really speed up the process of getting waterproof – from 10 minutes to around 60 seconds!
Started off with a little bit of dissappointment. Unfortunately we didn’t managed to make it on the London – Brighton kit car run. Despite our best efforts the car just wasn’t ready (despite working till 10 oclock that night).
Aside from that – Good progress this week. We’ve refitted the hood (properly this time). It is important to get the hood square because the creases are impossible to remove otherwise.
And here is what it now looks like when its fitted!
It’s also been used to take some people for a little ride. I think they were impressed!
The front shock absorbers have been replaced with units that have 3 bump stops on them. This should prevent the tyres from compressing too much and rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch. Should also allow me to run less damping and spring rate so as to get the ride height correct.
We’ve also sanded down the interior of the wheel arch reliefs so that we minimise impact area. Here is a video of Jane doing a good job on the sanding.