Well I’ve now finished fitting the rear suspension. The issues with the washers has been solved by cutting them off at a tangent. This was achieved using two pieces of wood to hold the washer and act as a jig. You can see the resulting washers with flats in the photo below:
And here is how the washers now fits onto the shock absorbers:
We also managed to fit the spring pans. There was a bit of filing needed to ensure that each of the screws fitted through the relevant bracket hole.
We also managed (after a lot of effort) to get the retaining pin for the wishbone fitted into the chassis. Fitting one of the thrust washers in was easy – Fitting two was very difficult. In the end the only way to get it in was for Jane to hit the pin whilst I moved the washer about.